Poor Trya Banks. While Oprah Winfrey
got all the attention after announcing the end of her talk show (not
until 2011), Tyra actually bid goodbye to her. Today was the final
‘Tyra,’ this after five years of interviewing celebrities, dispensing
wisdom (”take responsibility for yourself because no one’s going to take
responsibility for you”), and tackling hot button issues on the mind of
young girls like body image, hair, sexuality, relationships, bigotry,
fat, boob jobs, and teen pregnancy. Oh, did we say hair? She did a lot of that, seriously, including one
last show earlier this week devoted to “the craziest, funniest and
inspiring hair moments.” Larry King called her television’s “fiercest
For the first time since the headline-grabbing domestic violence incident involving her ex-boyfriend Chris Brown -- Rihanna is set to talk about what happened between them last February. ABC News has announced that Rihanna will sit down with Diane Sawyer
in an interview that is scheduled to air on "Good Morning America" on
Thursday, Nov. 5 and Friday, Nov. 6 at 7 a.m. ET -- and then on Nov. 6
at 10 p.m. ET on "20/20." "This happened to me...it can happen to
anyone," Rihanna says, adding of Chris, "He was definitely my first big
love." According to ABC News, Rihanna will also talk about her family
life, growing up in Barbados and how life has been for her since her
split from Brown, who was sentenced to five years of probation,
community labor and one year of domestic violence counseling.
LOS ANGELES — Rapper Kanye West apologized for a second time on Monday after celebrities and fans poured scorn on his hijacking of teen country star Taylor Swift's moment in the spotlight at the MTV Video Music Awards. West was booed loudly when he leaped on stage and grabbed the microphone from Swift, 19, as she was accepting the trophy for best female pop video for "You Belong With Me" at the awards ceremony on Sunday. West declared it should have gone to Beyonce's "Single Ladies" video, which he called "one of the best videos of all time." The outburst on the live telecast was seen by some 27 million viewers -- the largest TV audience since 2002 for the annual MTV Video Music Awards, MTV said on Monday. Video of the incident was seen by some 2 million times on the MTV.com web site alone. "I feel like Ben Stiller in (the movie) 'Meet the Parents' when he messed up everything and Robert De Niro asked him to leave...That was Taylor's moment and I had no right in any way to take it from her. I am truly sorry," West wrote on his blog on Monday. West had earlier written that he was "soooooo sorry", adding "Welcome to the real world!!!! Everybody wanna booooo me but I'm a fan of real pop culture!!!". He will get a chance to speak publicly about the incident in a previously scheduled appearance on comedian Jay Leno's TV show on Monday evening. Swift, the biggest-selling artist of 2008 in the United States with more than 4 million albums, said little on Sunday about the outburst. "I've been getting so many text messages and everybody's been really nice. So I've had a really, really fun night. It's been interesting definitely. It's definitely been an interesting night," she said. Swift is to appear on Tuesday on daytime chat show "The View".
Rick Fox is the newest tenant to nab a spot on "Melrose Place," reports Reuters.The former Los Angeles
Lakers star has been cast in a recurring role on the CW series, which
is being resurrected from its original run in the 1990s
The athlete-turned-actor will play the owner of the restaurant where all the aspiring actors on the show work.
Fox's television resume
includes "Oz," "One Tree Hill," "The Game" and "Ugly Betty," where he
was featured alongside his ex-wife and series star Vanessa Williams.
Despite all the good will aimed Whitney's way from a huge and loving Central Park crowd on Tuesday, she blew her big moment.
And, the heartbreaking part is, she knew it.
Her apology, blaming a blabby interview with Oprah taped the day before, came three songs into her four-number set.
least her "sorry, guys" offered some relief. It allowed her to publicly
acknowledge what even the most devoted fans couldn't ignore.
Every song Houston
performed had a moment where her voice cracked, and throughout her set
she treated the high notes the way the driver of a brand new car would
Not that Houston sounded entirely hoarse or winded
during the set. She growled with confidence during the funkiest parts
of her old hit "My Love Is Your Love," and in the verses of her new
single "Million Dollar Bill," she had some of her old, ringing tone.
She also had energy on her side. The bright-looking singer bounded on to the stage at Rumsey Playfield
yesterday just after noon, opening with the new single. But if she
delivered the song's verses with some verve, she left it to the
audience, and her backup singers, to tackle the choruses.
biggest problems showed in the title song to her new CD, "I Look To
You." It's just the kind of high drama ballad Houston would have soared
to the sky with in her prime. But this time, she cut off notes early,
and merely spoke parts of the verses.
Even Houston's new studio
recording shows some damage to her instrument. She has a huskier sound
than before. But the fact is, she can do better than she did yesterday.
Houston's three-song performance for an industry crowd at Clive Davis'
Grammy party back in February found her in far more sturdy form.
Houston also has a small bit of encouraging news on the sales front.
Early reports peg the new CD as an almost-sure No. 1 on Billboard's album chart, out next week.
But for her comeback to have the wow we want, she'll have to not just sell well, but soar when she sings.
Stop the presses. The season premiere of "The Tyra Banks Show" will feature its host without her trusty weave.
I’m rockin’ my REAL hair on my talk show September 8th,” the former
supermodel posted on her Twitter feed. “No fake hair at all! Will be
the hair coming out of my scalp! 4 all 2 C!”
She continued, “no ponytails, no ballet bun head. hair will be out and free!”
sp; The day after Tyra's weave
free talk show episode airs, her prime time gig, "America's Next Top
Model," begins its 13th cycle on the CW with 14 new hopefuls – each
standing 5'7" or shorter.
Dancing with the Stars 9’s cast of
16 quasi-stars was announced this morning, and the largest cast ever
includes singer Macy Gray, indicted former Republican majority leader
Tom DeLay, actor Donny Osmond, former Dallas Cowboy Michael Irvin,
model Kathy Ireland, and The Osbournes
star Kelly Osbourne. Paula Abdul, however, is not part of the cast, nor
is LaToya Jackson, who said last week she was offered a spot but turned
The other participants include actor, singer, and dancer Mya;
Entourage’s Debi Mazar; Sabrina the Teenage Witch Melissa Joan Hart;
and train wreck Aaron Carter.
There’s also comedian George Hamilton’s offspring and one-time Shannen Doherty husband Ashley Hamilton; model and ABC’s Superstars
cast member Joanna Krupa; Olympic swimmer Natalie Coughlin; mixed
martial artist Chuck Liddell; snowboarder Louie Vito. And perhaps the
least-known name belongs to someone you probably know: Mark Dacascos,
the actor who plays Iron Chef America’s chairman.
DeLay, who’s under indictment for money laundering and campaigned to support Sara Evans during season three because she “represents good American values,” told USA TODAY,
“I really am a big fan of the show. I couldn’t believe they asked me to
do this. It didn’t take me five minutes to agree. I’ve been working out
like crazy.” Executive producer Conrad Green told the paper, “I was
astonished when he said yes. There no agents or lawyers. He’s in it to
have some fun.” SOURCE:REALITY BLURRED
Watch "The Insider" on TV tonight to see Tito Jackson on the record
about his brother Michael's alleged drug problem. Hear about their last
conversation -- and why he wishes he could have said goodbye
differently. Plus, Tito speaks out about Michael's alleged love child.
See the interview that will have everyone talking -- watch "The
Insider" on TV tonight! [Read full story on The Insider]
The cancellation of CW’s The Game, represents the final
nail in the coffin for African American shows on network TV. Over the
past decade, there were a handful of black shows, sitcoms to be
particular, that saw the light of day. Once upon a time, there was a
minor league network called The WB that gained it’s primary audience by
airing these programs - “The Jamie Foxx Show,” “The Wayan’s Brother’s”, “The Parent ‘Hood”, “The Steve Harvey Show” and “Sister, Sister” (after being dropped from ABC) being prime examples.Meanwhile there existed another network that appeared to remain
loyal to their African American base: The now defunct UPN, which
showcased “One on One,” “Half and Half”, and “All of Us” and “Eve,”
to name a few. In January 2006, CBS and WB announced that they would
collapse both The UPN and The WB and launch a brand new network called
The CW. From that point, decisions were made as to which programs from
each network would be migrated over to The CW, and which ones would be
terminated. By 2006, African American programs had been completely
eliminated from The WB and it was crystal clear which UPN shows would
get the boot as a result of the merger. “7th Heaven”, “Beauty and the Geek”, “Gilmore Girls”, “One Tree Hill”, “Reba”, “Smallville”, and “Supernatural” found a new home at The CW, leaving “Girlfriends”, and “All of Us”, “The Game”, and “Everybody Hates Chris” as the last Black network TV shows standing.The downward trend continued with the sudden cancellation of Will and Jada Pinkett-Smith’s “All of Us,” and was accentuated by the cancellation of the CW’s long running hit show “Girlfriends”
two years later, in 2008. After 8 seasons, and millions in ad revenues,
they weren’t even given so much as a series finale. When interviewed
once, Mara Brock Akil stated that she was “ in talks with the studio
and network on putting together a retrospective show which will honor
and celebrate this landmark series, so please stay tuned.” Sounds
hopeful, but that claim was made well over a year ago. So much for
EXCERPT FROM SFGATE.COM ~ Kris Allen beamed with disbelief, shook his head as if to reject that this was really happening and doubled over in shock. The fact that he'd just beaten rollicking vocal powerhouse Adam Lambert for the "American Idol" title wasn't going to sink in quickly for the unassuming underdog from Arkansas. The only downside to this stunning victory: He was going to have to sing "No Boundaries" one more time. "I'm sorry, I don't even know what to feel right now. This is crazy," said the 23-year-old from Conway, Ark., as he leaned on host Ryan Seacrest to keep from staggering.Allen's smooth vocals and boy-next-door image gave him the edge after nearly 100 million viewer votes were cast, turning the theatrical Lambert into the most unlikely of also-rans. When the season started, Allen seemed unsure he had a right to take center stage, let alone stand there and snatch victory from such a formidable rival. During his "Idol" audition last summer, Allen, hands in his pockets and a newsboy cap pulled down around his eyes, was asked by the judges if he was the best singer around. "You know, there's probably people who are better than me," was Allen's response, offered in the quiet, low-key spirit he retained despite his growing profile. Conversely, Lambert's commanding vocal range and stage presence — and the judges' lavish adoration — at times turned "Idol" into "The Adam Lambert Show," with the other contestants mere guests. But it turned out that "Idol" viewers could embrace a gifted performer like Lambert, one who sported black nail polish and bold self-assurance, only to a point. Cowell tipped his hat to both contestants Wednesday night, who shared a moment of musical camaraderie when they joined with Queen on the rock anthem "We Are the Champions." "To both of you, and I don't normally mean this, I thought you were both brilliant ... the future's all yours," the judge said. "Adam did win. So did Kris. Nobody lost tonight. These are two champions," said Kiss guitarist Paul Stanley from backstage. The comments from Cowell and Stanley aren't necessarily empty platitudes. Past contestants can testify that losing the title doesn't mean you're a loser, nor does winning mean you're a shoo-in for superstardom. CONTINUE READING...
American Idol" has announced that Queen Latifah, Black Eyed Peas,
Lionel Richie and Carlos Santana are among the performers lined up for
Wednesday's season finale showdown between Kris Allen and Adam Lambert. The stars will join fellow booked acts Cyndi Lauper. Previous "Idol" winners David Cook and Underwood will perform on
Tuesday's episode, which will feature Lambert, a 27-year-old theater
actor from San Diego, and Allen, a 23-year-old college student from
Conway, Ark., battling for a record contract and the title of "American
Idol."Meanwhile, Jamie Foxx, who
mentored the "Idol" contestants during Rat Pack week, weighs in on the
final two contestants during an appearance on today's episode of "The
Ellen DeGeneres Show." The actor-singer said Adam has the potential to "go stratosphere," but Allen's a sleeper. "Watch out for him," he tells DeGeneres of the
guitar-playing singer. "Kris really sort of swooned me. You know, I'm a
macho man, but he was singing and I was like, oh my goodness. I was
like, 'Dude, you had me floating for a minute.' So I told him I would
really, really love to do a record with him because he's sort of
understated." [Watch below.]
became the first broadcast network to turn down a request by President
Barack Obama for time, opting to show its drama "Lie to Me" on
Wednesday instead of the president's prime-time news conference.Fox
will direct viewers interested in the news conference to Fox News
Channel and the Fox Business Network, which will both carry it. ABC,
CBS, NBC, CNN, MSNBC and CNBC are all carrying the 8 p.m. EDT event, on
Obama's 100th day in office.This will be Obama's third prime-time news conference as president,
a schedule that has caused some private grumbling among network
executives. Carrying a news conference costs the four broadcast
networks an estimated $10 million-plus in lost advertising revenue.Yet with an economy in distress, two wars and now a swine flu
outbreak, the pressure on networks to agree to Obama's request as a
public service is enormous.Executives at Fox, owned by News Corp., would not comment on the
decision Monday. It's not without precedent for the network; Fox didn't
carry a prime-time speech by President George W. Bush in November 2001
despite a request from the White House."I can't imagine it was politically motivated," said Shelly Palmer,
industry analyst and host of "MediaBytes," a daily show about
technology and the media. "I'm assuming it was financially motivated."The news conference comes at the start of a ratings "sweeps" months,
where viewership is watched closely to set local advertising rates. Not
only will Fox keep its advertising for the hour, it will offer the only
broadcast entertainment program, potentially giving a boost to the new
series "Lie to Me," about a crime-fighting expert who can spot liars.
"American Idol" follows "Lie to Me" on the schedule.The Fox broadcast network was the most likely to have made this
decision. Unlike ABC, CBS and NBC, Fox does not have its own news
division to analyze the event. Even though the broadcast network is in
more homes, cable's Fox News Channel traditionally gets more viewers
for its coverage of these events than the Fox network. CONTINUE READING...
LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) –
Michael Vick is hoping to play the reality game. The incarcerated NFL star has talked to producers about launching an
unscripted program. The proposed documentary series would follow Vick
beginning July 20, the day of his scheduled release from federal
custody, and show him trying to "make amends for his past." Sources said eager producers even visited the suspended Atlanta Falcons
quarterback in prison in the hope of signing him. As a result, a few
parties claim to have obtained rights to a Vick project. Vick is serving a 23-month sentence for dogfighting conspiracy. His
attorneys did not return a call for comment, but they told a judge this
month at a bankruptcy hearing that Vick has agreed to a "television
documentary deal" that will pay him $600,000. That number represents only a small portion of what Vick is asking for,
however. The athlete, who reportedly owes millions to creditors, is
seeking a high-dollar figure for participation in the show. Among the questions surrounding such a deal is the matter of which
network would be interested in a Vick reality show. Insiders place bets
on A&E and Spike TV as likely first stops. "It sure won't be Animal Planet," more than one source quipped. SOURCE:YAHOO.COM
LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) –
Actress-comedian Wanda Sykes and the Fox network are finalizing a deal for a Saturday late-night show. The hourlong show, slated to premiere in the fall, will succeed the recently canceled sketch comedy
show "MadTV." It will be topical, featuring a panel of recurring guests
sparring over issues concerning politics as well as pop culture. Sykes
will appear in field segments as well. Known for her outspoken comedic perspective, Sykes will host the 2009 White House Correspondents' Association dinner. The actress, who co-stars on CBS' "The New Adventures of Old Christine," previously headlined the sitcom "Wanda at Large" on Fox. Sykes's deal brings a rare female presence to late-night television, which is dominated by white male hosts. It follows TBS' announcement of a new late-night talk show hosted by Mexican-American actor/comedian George Lopez. The fate of Fox's other Saturday late-night show, "Talk Show With Spike Feresten," which airs at midnight, remains up in the air.
America's Next top Model host Tyra Banks has told
wannabes caught up in chaotic scenes at a New York casting that they
will get another chance.
On the show's blog, Banks has written that producers are "doing
everything we can" to "make sure that everyone gets a fair chance to
pursue their dream".Thousands of modelling hopefuls were queuing outside a hotel when bedlam broke out, injuring six people.Police said the crowd panicked when a broken down car nearby began smoking. Several arrests As the crowd surged, the street outside the hotel became
littered with shoes and clothing owned by people who had camped out the
night before the audition.Three people were arrested for resisting arrest after a security barrier was toppled, police said. New York Police Department spokesman Paul Browne told the
Associated Press that organisers should have notified police before the
gathering for help with crowd control. He said there have been no similar problems with other open castings.In the latest series of the hit reality show competition, the
show's producers are looking for models below the usual height of 5ft
7ins. They have yet to reveal when another audition will take place,
but Banks said: "I encourage each girl to come out ready to rock the
runway and show off their fiercest pose. "I'm rooting for all of you!"